03 July 2008

A Course Has Been Set

Making a blog is not that easy, did anyone know that?

I had added some random ramblings to this blog, in hopes that my overall direction would somehow rear its head and make it obvious what I wanted this blog to be and what I should call it.

Then I was casually listening to one of my favorite groups -- careful, it's a Christian group -- called Downhere, a great group of guys from Canada. * What you see to the right here is a YouTube link to the song that inspired my tagline above, "Stir," written by Marc Martel and Jason Germain. While I am thinking about that group, whether you like Christian music or not, these guys are worth checking out. I know of no other band that is writing and performing songs like these. Their album "Wide-Eyed and Mystified" is incredible, with at least nine or ten songs worthy of airplay. The group has another album due out in September.

Anyway, if you want to hear the song that inspired me to name this blog and start stirring the pot, then give it a listen. It rocks.

So why does the pot need to be stirred? Well, the grease is forming at the top, for starters. Secondly, it's in my nature to do so.

I am a teacher, so my teaching tendencies tend to come out from time to time. I teach History, passionately so; and this leads to strong opinions on politics, culture, people, attitudes, prejudices and misconceptions. Wait, don't worry: I don't influence any of your darling boys and girls with my outrageous opinions. I leave that for this blog. I don't pretend to change anything. But if I don't say something my brain will explode.

I am a Christian, and since I don't really like labels too much we will leave it at that. But I certainly can testify that I have come from a background of self-indulgence, self-pity and self-centered behavior that made me unhappy and miserable. I had the fortune of knowing people who loved me and encouraged me to attend church when I was in my late 20s. Through them I saw the love of Jesus with my own eyes, and I have never been the same since. I am in my 40s now, and still have a lot of problems, but I take steps each day to try to improve my life and enrich my relationship with God the Father.

There will likely be more discussions of things that are really important in life at some later time. But for now, have a look at my earlier postings and see what you think. Consider the pot stirred. Here, take a sip.

No comments: