10 September 2010

Responding to the Social Agenda

I recently was directed to an article on EthicsDaily.com called, “What to Say When a Glenn Beck Believer Calls.” Here is the link. Now, look, I know Beck is a polarizing figure. And there’s no way to know what side of the debate most of you readers would come down on, so I’m not sure if I’m picking a fight or preaching to the choir. I happen to be a long-time fan of Beck’s. Way before he was on television, years and years ago I came to appreciate his point of view. I just think the guy speaks the truth. I believe he turned his life around and came to God through Jesus Christ. I could be wrong about that. I believe he is sincere. His job is way to difficult to not be. He has been too consistent, over the years, to be a charlatan. Again, one either loves or hates the guy I suppose. But I felt the need to respond to this article, because it was weak and I had seen the same lame argument a hundred times before. This movement toward social justice through government taxation scares the hell out of me, no pun intended.

Anyway, here’s my response to the author, Robert Parham. I have yet to hear back from Mr. Parham. I await his response.

Sir:
I searched for a way to comment on your article. I could find none, so I write this email. I come to you as many things I guess; a Christian, a Conservative that is becoming more Libertarian every day, and as a fan of Glenn Beck. I have been a fan of Beck's for a long time. Before he ever appeared on TV, probably for more than seven or eight years. I believe this man's heart is in the right place. It's just a feeling I've had about him for all these years.

Your article pushed Beck down as a Mormon, therefore not a reliable presenter of the truth. I am a Baptist but I consider Beck to be a legitimate Christian. I know he attends a Mormon church. But I have also heard his testimony. I believe he came to his faith through Christ. Is that not the Way? Every "Christian" is not more in tune with God than every "Mormon." There are great men and women throughout. I don't personally believe in some aspects of Mormonism, that is for sure, but Beck has never demanded -- or even hinted -- that I had to accept anything "Mormon" in order to know God or follow God. But apparently you would imply the reverse to Mr. Beck. You also diminished the relevance of Beck's fans, or "followers", implying we are all black-robed, or whatever. You take the example of one Beck supporter and apply it to every Beck supporter. Not cool at all. Here is where you show your true colors, sir. I pray every day, I attend church as often as I can, I love my God and his Son, Jesus Christ, that gave me a new life, and I read and try my best to understand the Scriptures. And I am a fan of Glenn Beck. But I don't wear black robes. How is that possible? Glenn Beck is popular because, in my opinion, he is genuine, and his fans sense that. I don't feel that from you sir, and you can go on quoting scripture all day, but you've already lost me.

I do not suppose that Beck knows the Bible better than you. I know I do not know the Bible more than you do. But I don't think that's what it's about. I do see that Beck is taking what he believes and trying to apply it to his life and effect a change in this country that is desperately needed. Someone, of courage, has to step out and do something to effect this change. Some of the change has to occur in the church; but some of it has to occur in the culture as well. There is nothing easy about what Beck is doing, either on his radio show, his TV show, or his live appearances. It's easy to sit in an office, quote scripture, and tell everyone what a good Christian you are. It's harder to present a consistent message for years and risk your life and career to apply it. I thought Beck's rally was a great thing with a great message. I admire his courage. I wish I could be that courageous in my life.

Finally, the concept of "social justice." No one, even Beck as I have heard him discuss many times, would argue against people helping the poor. If they do they are truly lost. But that's not what "social justice" means, as it is used today, sir. Much too often, it's a buzzword used toward political means, by agenda-driven people. Basically, if your money and/or focus is on the government providing, it's not about being a Christian, in my opinion. And apparently, if you don't support the right government programs, then you're just evil. If you can't see the difference in real social justice and government social justice, then there's no way you can intelligently comment on what Beck's true convictions are. I have not read your previous articles, but here's what I have observed by reading this one: All you really know how to do is talk bad about other people and quote scripture. I know a lot of people like that. They're a dime a dozen. Many of them have similar forums. I will pray for you, and pray that our nation wakes up and turns to God. Which, by the way, was the message of last weekend's rally. It's a good message.

No comments: